• The national patient experience survey has been conducted annually in the period 2011-2013, and several domains shows improvement in patient experiences over time.
• Hospital inpatients in 2013 report better experiences than patients in 2011 on four domains (doctor services, nursing services, organization, information), and better experiences than patients in 2012 on two domains (organization, information).
• As previous years patients in 2013 reported best experiences on the indicators related to patient safety, nursing services, doctor services and next-of-kin.
• The survey shows that hospitals have improvement potential from the patient perspective, especially related to discharge preparation, co-operation with services in the municipality, waiting time for elective patients and organization. These are the same domains as in previous surveys.
• The survey confirms significant variation in patient experiences between hospitals.